History of the Mandurah Basketball Association
Mandurah Basketball’s beginnings were on tennis courts on the corner of Kitchener Street and Churchill Avenue in 1957. Two men’s teams started playing against teams from Waroona. They played some games indoors at the Capital Hall, on the corner of Pinjarra Road and Sutton Street when it was wet. They then got permission to put lines on the tennis courts opposite Hackett Street on the foreshore.
The inaugural President was Neville Matson who walked the streets asking for money to support the Association. Big supporters of the Association were Digney’s Hardware, the Brighton and Peninsula Hotels. Reynold’s Pie shop donated the first time clock. Neville was later joined by Jimmy Herring who was another tireless worker. Two women’s teams had joined in the competition by then. They moved further up the road to the site of the now Mandurah City Council offices. This move was on the proviso that the land would be provided by the Shire but the basketball group were to construct the courts, which they did.
In the 1960’s Neville Matson organised with Tom Landy of Perth, games at Perry Lakes with the men participating first followed later by the ladies.
In 1982 they moved to Thomson Street where three brand new asphalt basketball courts had been specifically constructed. After the move to Thomson Street, the Club system was introduced with Magpies, Allstars, Katz, Lions and Orbits the inaugural clubs. A sixth club was introduced later being the Falcons. With this group of people, the level of competition grew and these clubs actively sought assistance from some of the Perth clubs to help in development. This was the first time juniors had their own competition with under 12’s and under 16’s starting to play.
Progressing through this time, the Kanyana Carnival was born, which attracted teams from the Wheatbelt, Goldfields, Murchison and the City. Kanyana Carnivals ran successfully for many years. Mandurah was one of the ‘big three’ country associations that successfully competed at Country Week carnivals in Perth and other country carnivals around the State.
In 1983, Stage 2 of the Mandurah Aquatic & Recreation Centre was built and the Mandurah Basketball Association moved indoors to the new 4 court facility.
Mandurah Basketball Association now caters for approximately 1800 players, playing on six days per week. Competitions are offered from beginning juniors to elite State Basketball League teams. The Association continues to grow with Development of players, school holiday camps and competitions being conducted for all levels of skill for fun, fitness and elite competition.